Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ash Wednesday & Solomon's Choice

Most days, while walking into work from the Dart, I see an old man sitting in the middle of Blackrock Village. You know the type: scruffy, bearded, always wearing the same cloths. He sits there, on a bench, feeding the birds, and once in a while, should someone blow their car's horn, he'll stand up and scream blue, bloody murder at the traffic.

Today, while I was in the Spar, paying for my lunch, (a tuna-fish roll, it is Ash Wednesday after all,) this old man arrives in. To my surprise says, in well spoken English, with a touch of an East European accent:

"I have made it my task in life to subdue the traffic. I stand in the middle of the road and I say, 'me first, then you.' Two legs is better then 4 wheels."

Serves me right for judging a book.

...

Good training last night in Pembroke. It was just Owen and myself with the sharps, but we did two big 15 hit fights. 1-1 was the final result. I was fencing well, but Owen just gets better and better. Also did some foil with Evegeniy and with J.

...

I learned an important life lesson last night. When two women are having an argument , and then both turn to me looking for a resolution, my response will henceforth be the same as that of King Solomon: "Just cut the baby in half!"

I don't care what they were arguing about, in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home